Mother's Day Hummingbird Cupcakes
I got this cute tasty recipe from the MARTHA STEWERT website, I have been searching for the perfect, different, and cute cupcake for Mother's day. This is so cute and with a dried pineapple flower on top, amazing! Here is the recipe:
The Cake: yields 24 cupcakes.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 large)
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut Preheat oven to 350 degrees.with rack in center. Line cupcake pan with paper liners; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, vanilla, and sugar until combined, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, incorporating each before adding the next. Beat at medium speed until mixture is pale yellow and fluffy, about 3 minutes. In a medium bowl, stir together banana, pineapple, walnuts, and coconut. Add to egg mixture, mixing until combined. Stir in flour mixture. Divide batter evenly among liners, filling about 2/3 full. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, until golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 28 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cupcakes have cooled, use a small offset spatula to frost tops of each cupcake. Decorate with dried pineapple flowers, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar, sifted
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle
attachment, beat cream cheese and vanilla until light and creamy, about 2
minutes. With mixer on medium speed, gradually add butter, beating
Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add sugar, beating until
incorporated. Use immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
Bring to room temperature before using
- DRIED PINEAPPLE FLOWERS
2 large or 4 small pineapples, peeled
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Line two baking sheets with nonstick
baking mats or parchment paper.
Using a small melon baller, remove and discard pineapple "eyes."
Using a sharp knife, cut pineapple crosswise into very thin slices.
Transfer slices to baking sheets. Bake until tops look dried, about 30
minutes. Flip slices; bake until completely dried, 25 to 30 minutes
more. Pinch center of each pineapple slice to shape into a cone, and let
cool in a clean egg carton to form flowers. Refrigerate in an airtight
container up to 3 days.
- Join HOOSIER HOMEMADE for cupcake Tuesday, check out her "Going to the movies" cupcakes, (how cute and inventive) and all the other participants and get some great ideas for Cupcakes.